Saturday, May 29, 2010

Princess inside Snow Globe.


Perhaps she was just another pretty face.
But, I broke her.
She was a princess living inside a snow globe.
I could not see her face
Beneath the hood of her long, white winter coat.
But, I could tell she was
Beautiful.
So exotic and elegant.
I gazed upon her shrouded beauty night and day.
But, I could not settle for that.
I wanted more.
I wanted to see her face.
I wanted her out of that snow globe
So I could finally touch her as well as look at her.
I did not want to hurt or endanger her.
But, I saw no safe way to release her.
I shook the snow globe furiously
Like some primitive-minded caveman.
"Get out!
Get out!
Get out of this prison!" I cried.
But, she did not hear me.
Or, she chose not to listen.
I thought she wanted the same things.
I thought she and I were connected.
Frustrated,
I left her alone for a time.
When I returned months later
And found myself tempted by her appearance once more,
I took hold and shook the snow globe feverishly.
Had I not learned my lesson?
She did not approve of this.
She expressed pain and displeasure in her own subtle plastic way.
I was sorry for having caused her this.
But, I could not take it back.
I could not give up my quest to free her.
I did not give much thought to the end results.
What if it would kill her to be free of the snow globe?
What if she needed that watery womb to survive?
I would hate to be the one who ended that life.
Still, I felt a connection.
A whim and/or desire
For something more than distant ogling.
To kiss her lips.
And, I let it consume me.
I tuned out all other voices
And threw caution to the wind.
I forced her to give me consent.
And,
With little effort at all,
I shattered that glass prison(or sanctuary).
Finally,
I could touch her.
Hold her.
Feel her every curve and groove.
It was all I could ever want
Given to me after such a long time.
So long I had waited.
And, now she was mine.
Or so I thought.
No.
It was not a dream come true.
In fact,
She turned out to be less than a fantasy.
A mirage of imagined reality.
She was a disappointment.
She had told me so.
But, I would not listen.
And now,
She is no longer protected by that snow globe.
No longer is she safe from others who would harm her.
Perhaps I am no better than them.
Those I would consider lesser beings than myself.
So young.
So fragile.
And, I broke her.
I broke her,
And she will never be the same.
But, why did I let it consume me?
The beautiful dream I envisioned so long ago.
I ruined it.
It did not have to happen.
We could have found harmony.
But, no longer is this possible.
If only there was another way.

[A passing inspiration in the night. A potential disaster realized in fictional prose reflecting the story that is somehow connected with me.]

No comments:

Post a Comment