Friday, September 23, 2011

The Oppulent Songbird - A Change (Part 5)

I gave the songbird one last heartfelt thought. The burning question struck her breast like a flaming arrow. With that final effort, reason outweighed her premature contentment and childlike fears. Reason to escape her gilded prison. And, I once again made it my goal to free her.

Quickly, I reached up and repeatedly tore at the lock with my fingers(as if my own hand was all that was needed). But, it would not budge. The songbird told me it would not be enough. She chirped a shrill note high into the air which magically opened the prison door and allowed her to fly free.

High above the tree under which I stood, the clouds began to swirl and darken with a thunderous rage. The surrounding trees hissed and moaned as they pointed their branches at the songbird and I. A storm was swiftly brewing and focussing its fury upon my head. The gilded cage tossed and twirled as the winds intensified. More brittle brown leaves began pelting my face and forearms as forceful gusts tore at my shoulders and ankles. I could feel my breath becoming short.

"Come! Hurry!" called the songbird as she brushed my face with her wing.

I looked up and saw her flapping with all her might, darting past the hissing trees as she headed north. Though a blizzard of dead leaves, I followed her with one arm raised to shield my eyes. We fueled each other while the dark cloud above persisted in chasing us with its swirling wrath. I could hear it cocking a rifle full of thunder and lightning. As we zig-zagged across narrow rivers and through shallow forests, fearsome bolts rained upon our path. If Fate or some higher power was not on our side, we might have been slain in motion.

I had no idea how much time had passed before I felt a sudden chill in the air. The winds of the north making their presence known. It was at that moment that our long, hard journey to freedom and sanctuary came to an end. With one final fearsome roar of thunder, the dark cloud expressed its fleeting disapproval and then retreated to the south. As the songbird sang her praises, I fell down on my knees and whispered thanks to the heavens.

We both fed off the fruits of the land before us(our own garden of paradise) to restore our strength and then found a tree with strong, broad branches upon which we both could perch. There in the shade of the sun, the songbird and I became more friendly. We learned about each other extensively in a matter of hours which flew by with the sun. She asked my intentions. My plans for the future...with or without her. I blushed and made it obvious that I wanted her to remain with me without so many words. She chuckled cheerfully.

At sunset, I looked at her and confessed how such intimate chatting made me desire having someone to hug and kiss. It was a silly thought, talking to a bird. But, surprisingly, she admitted feeling the same way.

Suddenly, she shuddered(as if given a chill) and fell off her perch with a hoot. I sat up to watch her flutter just a few feet above the ground. She began to glow brightly while singing a shrill, fast-paced tune. Bursting into flames, a flaming glob of goo plopped on the ground. I leapt from my branch in shock.

Several tendrils stretched and twirled as the blob grew before me. It eventually took a human shape. A shape I could not deny was appealing. A fleshy woman with a head of long, flowing hair bursting with starlight and a warm, friendly smile just as bright. Her cheerful eyes twinkled with excitement.

Before I could find my next words, she threw her strong arms around me and planted a steamy kiss upon my wavering lips. I felt my nerves weakening as her tender bosom pressed against my non-existent pecs. It wasn't long before we were rolling on the ground together in the heat of the moment. Gratitude and bellies full of fruit fueled our passions. And, the sun smiled down upon us.

There was no guarantee this blissful entanglement would last forever. But, for the moment, it felt certain that happiness was secured. The spirit trapped within the songbird had been set free. And, wherever life would take us, we would no longer live in doubt or fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment