Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Oppulent Songbird - Free At Last (Part 4)


I stood in disbelief of what had happened. The wind itself turning against me, preventing me from freeing the songbird of her cage. Even for just a moment. But, deep down, even I knew it would not be for just a moment. I wanted more. And, the wind knew, as well.

On a whim, I began pleading with the songbird. I peppered her with personal questions. I wanted answers. Answers that might put my uncertain concerns to rest. She tried to convince me that all was well with her situation. But, in my heart, I disagreed with every word she sang to me.

I could tell the wind sensed my frustration. It knew my intent and was starting to grow restless. Impatient. Intolerant.


I gave the songbird one last heartfelt thought. The burning question struck her breast like a flaming arrow. With that final effort, reason outweighed her premature contentment and childlike fears. Reason to escape her gilded prison. And, I once again made it my goal to free her.

Quickly, I reached up and repeatedly tore at the lock with my fingers(as if my own hand was all that was needed). But, it would not budge. The songbird told me it would not be enough. She chirped a shrill note high into the air which magically opened the prison door and allowed her to fly free.

High above the tree under which I stood, the clouds began to swirl and darken with a thunderous rage. The surrounding trees hissed and moaned as they pointed their branches at the songbird and I. A storm was swiftly brewing and focussing its fury upon my head. The gilded cage tossed and twirled as the winds intensified. More brittle brown leaves began pelting my face and forearms as forceful gusts tore at my shoulders and ankles. I could feel my breath becoming short.

"No!" cried the songbird as she watched me weaken against the strong wind's wrath. I could hear her pleading with the storm. Begging it to stop. Then she took off high into the sky like a bolt of lightning returning to the heavens from which it came.

[Kra-KOOM-OOM-OOMMM!!!]

Suddenly, there were TWO lightning bolts fighting each other. With each mighty collision, the sky crackled and rumbled with fury before a shrill cry briefly silenced the storm.

The battle ensued for what felt like hours. Then, just as the winds ceased to whip across my face and I remembered to breathe, the dark clouds began to part. I assumed the wind had admitted defeat and fled the scene in shame, licking its wounds. The storm had ended. And, riding a ray of light, a brilliant star descended upon the Earth. As it came within a few feet of my face, I could see the songbird once more.

Though I never saw a bird smile, she was surely smiling at me. She thanked me for helping her see the light and find the strength to start a life of her own without the Southern Wind confining her to the gilded cage. Then, she flew up to the top of the tree and perched upon one of the smaller branches. There she sang a cheerful song. A song of victory and freedom. The surrounding trees, awed by the display, raised their branches to the sky and swayed happily in step with the music.

I was happy to see her free. But, deep down, I knew the feeling would not last. I sensed she would leave me soon and seek the life of her own she had been denied for so long. I tried to freeze the smile upon my face as I basked in the light of the sun. Forced to squint and look away, I felt a tightness in my neck. I massaged the pain long enough to feel a gentle touch press against my cheek. A kiss. The light above slowly faded. Raising my head swiftly, I noticed the bird had vanished from atop the tree. I was alone.

It took me some time to leave the scene. But, as I headed home, I could hear a voice whispering in the wind. It said, "Thank you." And, though she had left me to find another soul to love, I cracked a tearful smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment